What is a telecommunications engineer doing?
The telecommunications engineering is a branch of engineering problems solved by transmitting and receiving signals and networking. According to the classic definition of telecommunications, this sub discipline groups three fields of knowledge: electronics, communication and telematics. As we already know, electronics is the basis of all information systems. In this sense, we have gone from using the old switching and telegraphy systems to applying more modern and evolved systems. On the other hand, information is also essential throughout this process, since it needs to be processed, adapted and transmitted. To finish, the Telematics takes care of networks, security and protocols. Interesting? Then we tell you how is the day to day of a telecommunications engineer.
Remember that to devote to telecommunications engineering, the university system has three different careers: the degree in electronic engineering of telecommunications, the degree in engineering in telecommunication systems and the degree in engineering in telecommunication technologies. And you? Have you already decided where you are going to train to become an engineering professional?
What are the tasks of a telecommunications engineer?
The most common functions of a telecommunications engineer are usually the following:
- Creation of product tracking systems.
- Image processing.
- Development of communications systems.
- Maintenance of telecommunications infrastructures.
What skills should a telecommunications engineer have?
As you should suppose, the tasks of a telecommunications engineer are quite complex and require a very high degree of specialization. In addition, it is advisable to have a series of personal skills. We highlight the following:
- Attention for research and development of innovative products.
- Interest in being up-to-date with everything related to technological products.
- Ability to solve problems and to work as a team.
- Ability to manage and organize networks.
- Advanced knowledge about computer software.
- Ability to easily transmit specialized information.
- Ability to research, write and present reports.
What job offers does a telecommunications engineer have?
Telecommunications engineers usually work as operators, manufacturers and service providers. However, there are other outputs that should be known:
- Banking: Engineers intervene in disciplines such as automatic trending. That is, the creation of robots that operate autonomously and in real time on the different stock markets. In addition, they are responsible for the information systems of banks.
- Logistics and Transportation: In this case, they deal with product tracking systems, the location of fleets, the creation of smart highways, communication between vehicles, etc.
- Image: Are you one of those who enjoy digital TV or 3D? For behind these achievements there is always a telecommunications engineer. On the other hand, the processing of images can also be used to make medical diagnoses.
- Defending: In the field of defense, telecommunications have diverse applications. For example, transparent materials (not detectable by radar) or augmented reality equipment for soldiers.
And you? Why would you like to study telecommunications? Share your experience with us in a comment!