Advice to develop a Sustainable Agriculture and respectful with the Environment
The World Environment Day is the most important to promote action in favor of nature annual event. This year, the chosen theme has a wide scope, ‘Connecting people with nature’.
This day gives us the opportunity to get a well-informed public opinion and improve the conscience, behavior and responsibility of individuals, companies and social groups in terms of conservation and environmental improvement.
Is the agricultural sector aware of the need to invest in infrastructure that respects the environment?
It is everyone’s job to work to protect the environment and leave a legacy to our children that does not involve irreparable damage to human health and the environment in general.
Campaigns should be made where the problems we have and the remedies that can be put are evident, sometimes the farmer is not aware that it could be causing a contamination problem, such is the case of the proper handling of pesticides and fungicides, so that we do not contaminate floors by washing tanks, backpacks, tractors, machines, as well as accidental overflows that can be a problem in the face of the contamination of aquifers and soils, with irreversible results sometimes.
In general, when the farmer knows the problem, he is responsible for good agricultural practices and makes responsible use of the products he handles. Sometimes the necessary infrastructures for it can suppose an important investment, and possibly from the administrations it should be facilitated of some way, or with more degradation in the quota, or concrete helps.
How can agriculture help to slow down or not accelerate climate change?
In some cases, agricultural production could be brought closer to industrial production, since certain industries produce enormous amounts of CO2 that could be used in agriculture, and would be an important step towards reducing pollution.
In other cases, a green repopulation such as tree plantations would contribute to the enrichment of oxygen and promote rainfall.
The water is the source of life and without water agriculture has no place. The problem, mostly political, prevents bringing water from surplus to deficit watersheds, which is precisely where the advance of desertification begins and one of the points to be considered of great importance in climate change.
What systems that respect the environment could be used?
We work for the development of a sustainable and non-polluting agriculture. In this product line, they are manufactured and marketed …
- Systems for water decontamination, both of emerging pollutants and pesticides.
- Systems are installed to mix waters of different origin (residual, rain …) in order to make better use of resources.
- Equipment is manufactured to disinfect water and reuse it.
- Sensors are installed to not provide excess fertilizers that could pass to lower layers and pollute aquifers.
- Equipment has been developed to avoid in some cases the use of some type of pesticides.
How can the environmental impact of Intensive Production Systems be reduced?
Novelties agriculture raises the development of systems of intensive and sustainable production that allows the achievement of uninterrupted crop cycles and at the same time, respect the environment. Some of the systems we use in our projects are:
- Development of APR greenhouse models for electricity production and intensive agricultural production.
- One of our developed APR greenhouses takes advantage of the modular capacity of these structures to create differentiated environments, one of production, and another for the maintenance and propagation of the auxiliary fauna and flora necessary in the biological fight.
- Solar collector systems are installed for pumping water from wells to store in reservoirs, or to irrigate a farm programmatically, not needing another alternative source of energy.
- Solar panels are also used for the operation of programmers and automatism.
- Rainwater collection and storage systems are designed from the greenhouses, and by means of controllers developed for this purpose, they allow to mix water from different origins to obtain a final product suitable for cultivation.
- Systems are installed to take advantage of the drainage of the hydroponic crops.
Does Agricultural News participate in any line of research related to the environment?
We have been collaborating in research projects since 1978. We are very aware of the conservation and environmental awareness through the use and circular agriculture.
The project allows integrating the necessary technologies for the use of wastewater, with analysis of selective ions and contribution of the necessary to complement an optimized nutrient solution to the different crops. All this, in the same compact and intelligent equipment designed to optimize energy consumption, thanks to the use of solar energy.
5 tips I would give to farmers to promote sustainable development
- In Greenhouse, the collection and use of rainwater.
- Also, the re-circulation of the drains with disinfection and use of the present nutrients, what supposes a saving of water and important fertilizers.
- Use of solar panels for pumping wells that allow it and to operate irrigation and climate systems as much as possible.
- Use systems that allow the degradation of pesticide residues
- Or even, produce your own compost with your vegetable waste.